Friday, November 14, 2008

Getting Hooked with SvR 2009

By no means am I one of those "smart" wrestling fans (though I do support them in a way. Seriously, too much Cena can be a killer for those who are not already used to the "Five Moves of Doom"), but I certainly love the genre, and the games that come along with it. After all, in the end, entertainment wins.

Which is why I am such a sucker for great wrestling games. For crying out loud, I've been a pro wrestling fan since I was but a little kid. Apparently, the game that got me hooked this month is nothing less of a shocker than with SmackDown! VS RAW 2009.

By all means is this not the greatest wrestling game in history, but it sure is enjoyable to say the least. Finally, I get to punt someone in the head using Randy Orton. Thank God that I can now put somebody on fire in an Inferno Match. Thank the stars that I am now able to make The Undertaker go MMA with the Devil's Triangle submission move. And finally, rosters can be updated via downloads, and this goes double to Ted DiBiase Jr.

And I'm stressing this out because when you compare the SmackDown! and SvR gaming franchise, their monopoly is as similar as to how the WWE has generally monopolized the entire industry in the United States (not that it is a bad thing in any way since we're talking about a business here, but monopoly by definition does have its own history). I love the game, really. But there comes a time that after years, and after all the experimenting with new features, a true ultimate wrestling game that can surpass WWE No Mercy will come out. Who knows when that will happen though? And TNA iMPACT! sure is not helping in the cause for this year (though it is a great start).

And to be honest, I have yet to see an MMA game that actually delivers (the top of the list being Pride FC. For cying out loud, I made opponents submit in a matter of ten seconds). I seriously hope the new UFC game will finally live up to the hype.

And yes, I do hope Couture breaks down Lesnar.

Until then...

No comments: