Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Retrospective: Breath of Fire III

I seriously miss traditional RPG's.

With all due respect to games like Persona 3 (and 4, for those who really love the Persona franchise) and whatnot, but I miss the kind of games that involve fantasy and the works. You know, the kind that resembles the Final Fantasy of old (aka pre-VII) but not given a gargantuan amount of hype that is purely associated with today's Final Fantasy. Something like Chrono Trigger (BTW, I can't wait to try the remake for the Nintendo DS, which will be my first game run, ever), which puts the quality of the story above solid graphics when it mattered the most.

What people may not have remembered is that while Capcom has always been known for its innovative and standard-bearing titles like Street Fighter and the Mega(Rock)man titles, along with hard-hitting titles like Resident Evil (or Biohazard), Phoenix Wright, and Okami, Capcom will forever be known as an ambivalent dynamo thanks to a certain RPG title that will forever remain in the annals of greatness: Breath of Fire.

And while the first and second games are A-OK back in the day, 4 did not necessarily live up to the expectations, and 5 absolutely sucked (IMO), 3 has always stood out as a class of its own.



Along with the typical Ryu as your main character, you get to control other characters like the princess Nina, the thief Rei, the plant-formed Pico, and the huge and sturdy guardian known as Garr. In a story that spanned two different timelines, with many different characters, an interesting fighting mechanic, and the ability to manage a fairy's town for neat loot, this game definitely has substance as compared to the different games of that era (look for Granstream Saga in my blog if you know what I mean). I remember spending a lot of time messing with different Dragon combinations just for the heck of it. Oh, and did I mention the fishing part? Yup, it had a great story and an interesting soundtrack to accompany it.

Yes, it's been a long time since the game was released for the original PlayStation. But if you guys get a chance, I'd seriously suggest you take your time checking this out and either live up the nostalgia for the experienced gamers, or experience greatness that Capcom has proven for a long time through this role-playing orgasm. As compared to a lot of games today (ESPECIALLY VALHALLA KNIGHTS 2), this is an amazing alternative for you peeps to try out.

That is, until Chrono Trigger for the DS comes along.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Breath of Fire 3. This was THE best RPG for me back during the PS1 era. BoF3>>>>>>>>FF7. Everything about this game was pure ownage. The musical scores, the story (First game to actually make me cry thrice!), awesome characters, Interesting side activities and a well done dragon system all made this game a timeless classic.

I have 3 CDs actually. 2 pirated and 1 original. I tried playing it again two years back, but unfortunately my PS1 is no longer functional. I hope they put this on WiiWare, XBL or PSN. Sure buy for me!

Lance Tan Ong said...

The PSP has that, but only for a EU release, unfortunately. XD

Otherwise, this game is better than most of the PSP's games this year, believe me. :P